Monday 13 October 2008

Seeds, Rabbits and Orange Peel

Walking around the garden, I have noticed quite a few seed pods, namely Agapanthus orientalis, a very free flowering variety with pale blue flowers.

Also some Agapanthus ‘Headbourne hybrids’, which have flowers in varying shades of blue, including a very dark blue, and also white. These only grow to 12-15 inches high so are suitable for the smaller garden.

Galtonia candicans has set a lot of seed. If you are prepared to wait a couple of years, sow it now as I did. I prefer a large pot rather than a seed tray. Hardy perennials and bulbs set in a shady place will need very little watering and if you use sterile sandy soil for the top two inches, anything that germinates isn’t smothered with weeds.

I am hoping that the seed from Cobaea scandens (pictured left) is viable. Most seeds I prefer to sow when fresh but as they are tender I will sow these in early spring.

I have had great trouble with rabbits this year, decimating many of my plants (my friend Anthony has decimated some of the rabbits with his shotgun). With a large garden, it is not possible to protect everything. I have just recently heard that if orange peel is placed near a plant the rabbits will avoid it. Hopefully this will be effective.

Autumn tip - this is a good time to be thinking about making alterations to the garden and changing plants that have been disappointing because of size, colour or performance. Take out or reduce the size of shrubs that are smothering nearby plants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Orange peel won't deter rabbits - if anything, they enjoy eating orange peel.