Monday 13 October 2008

Colchicums

These plants, sometimes known as autumn crocus, are an exotic looking flower. Although fragile they have stood up to the stormy weather this year.

I planted most of them around fruit trees in the orchard. At first I think I didn’t plant them deep enough as they tended to fall over.

The variety Colchicum speciosum alba increases a lot with me – I think there is a double variety but I haven’t been able to locate it yet.



The lavender coloured double variety ‘Waterlily’ is very attractive but hasn’t increased like speciosum.


There is a drawback with these plants. The leaves, which appear in spring, are large and floppy. I have read they should be cut back but I think mine have increased so well because I have allowed them to die naturally.


No comments: