Wednesday 10 September 2008

September Photos


Cobaea scandens var. alba? A woman who I looked after as a little girl came to visit the garden and gave me this plant, which I think is a vigorous climber from Mexico. Also known as the cup-and-saucer plant. Strictly a perennial, but I intend to grow it as a half-hardy annual.




Phlox maculata 'White Admiral'. I have increased this by stem cuttings, round about the same time as the Chelsea Flower Show, therefore known as the 'Chelsea chop'. Reduce some of the sideshoots in May when the plant is about 12 inches high. 6 inch pieces root very easily.




Bulbs of Colchicum speciosum. Flowers from September onwards. Also known as 'naked lady'. I read that the flower contains a poison similar to arsenic.




Foliage of the native Euonymus or Spindle tree beginning to turn red. So called because its hard, yellowish wood 'serveth
very well to the making both of Prickes and Spindelles'.







Cylcamen as big as a dinner plate by stump of horse chestnut, grown from my own seed.









(c) David Lewis 2008

No comments: